Happy new year from everyone at Drummond Laurie and best wishes for a healthy, prosperous and peaceful 2017. Once again we go into a new year thinking that it can’t get any more turbulent than the one we have just left behind. Few among us expected that 2016 would see the UK vote to leave the EU and end the year with our second woman prime minister in place! It’s hard to believe that we can ever have gone into a new year with such uncertainty in the air over what lies ahead. In the unprecedented situation which the UK and EU finds itself in, we shouldn’t really be surprised that no-one can tell us with any certainty how events are going to unfold over the coming two years or more.
So what should we be doing to ready ourselves for whatever may come our way? At DL we are advising our clients to treat things very much as “business as usual”. Continue to apply the sound business principals which have seen you through the recessionary years and beyond.
- Be clear on what your market place is.
- Make clear to that market what differentiates you from your competition.
- Ensure that you know your break-even turnover level at the start of each month.
- Constantly review your practices to identify any efficiencies which may help reduce this break-even level or improve the level of service you give to customers.
- Focus on the KPI’s in your business which, if managed well, make the difference.
- Focus more on what lies ahead than what lies in the past.
- Be nimble and ready to adapt your approach as circumstances change.
Make it your new year resolution to follow the above principals and watch your business surge forwards regardless of the obstacles which the wider economy may place in your path. Our team at DL are experienced in guiding businesses on the right path, so if you are not already a client please get in touch to see what we can do for you!