Drummond Laurie Chartered AccountantsDo you have to use your own money for equipment and or uniforms that you must buy for your job? 

Are these things which you will only ever use in your place of work? 

If so, you may be entitled to claim tax relief for these costs.  These expenses must have been incurred within the tax year you are claiming for, and relief will be given for what you’ve spent, at the rate of tax which you pay. 

However, you can’t claim tax relief if your employer either 

  1. gives you all the money back
  2. offers an alternative, for example, gives you a laptop but you want a different type or model.   

Remember, you must keep records/receipts for what you’ve claimed.   

Check out the following link to see if you can make a claim here.